Friday, March 4, 2011

祸不单行

The Chinese have a saying: "Misfortune does not travel alone."

Last week, in the middle of a low-level but persistent cold that I'm still getting over, saw the beginning of a procedural marathon: filing federal taxes, filing state taxes, applying for new scholarships, re-applying for old scholarships, filling out the FAFSA, filling out the PROFILE, applying for Yale Financial Aid, getting refunds for plane tickets, applying for jobs, registering my residence with the police, and getting my new 3-month, $500 (ouch) visa squared away.

This past Tuesday, as if to remind me that things can indeed get worse, I had to go to the emergency room. In the name of delicacy and decency, I'll spare you the specifics - the long and short of it is that after spending the most painful half-hour of my life in a cab, getting IV-ed and anesthetized and cut on in the nick of time, and then lying in a hospital bed for two days, I'm now back home and back to work. Albeit gingerly, on an antibiotics regimen, and with my head semi-exploding due to a particularly nasty Cold #2 that I picked while at the hospital. I've postponed my job interviews (neither seemed particularly promising anyway), temporarily canceled meetings with my tutor, and am hoping to get roughly back on track by Monday.

I hope to be updating again next week with some good news.

3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you're O.K.! Mad kudos to you for handling all that stuff entirely outside your home country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 大难不死,必有后福!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes! I hope you're on the mend now. I'm incredibly impressed with your ability to juggle all that you are right now!

    ReplyDelete